Women With ADHD ADD

For Women with ADHD ADD Who Want to Connect

Intuniv is FDA approved for ADHD/ADD  children upt to age 17 as far as I can tell. It is an extended release formulation of an old antihypertensive drug "tenex". I have hypertension and ADHD  and have been on it for 2 weeks. Any experience or info would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 16657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My grandson, age 8, is on 5 mg Adderall xr and his doctor suggested the Intuniv. After a week of the 1 mg, I noticed a difference and we stayed on that for about a month and then went to the 2 mg. After less than 2 weeks of this he got "student of the day" which is pretty monumental. I think the Intuniv gives him enough of whatever he needs to not have to increase the Adderall xr to a higher dose. He takes it with other vitamins right before bed so I have not noticed any increase in drowsiness. An added benefit that I have no proof of is that all of a sudden he has gone from wetting the bed 10/14 nights a week to only 2/14 nights.

I am going to ask my doctor about giving me some samples to see if this will help me with organization and resting at night better.
I stopped the Intuniv 2 wks ago. I dont remember exactly why, but it wasnt agreeing with me. I think, getting off the Strattera and being on the Focolin and being on the Intuniv was too much Rx. I'm now just on 40mg of Focolin. I feel pretty ok. eventually, I'd like to try the Intuniv again. I see my Dr. in Dec., and I'm sure we'll talk ablut it.
I have to be the most unorganized person alive, especially in my small 2.5 room apt., which I share with my husband and child. It is very difficult for me to straighten up, put clothes away, etc... I tend to get very overwhelmed just thinking about tackling these chores, so I end up ignoring them, causing more "stuff" to build up..I have been on Intuniv(2 mg) for about 4-5 weeks now and I notice no change whatsoever. I read that this drug is for kids. Does it work in adults or not? Any and all responses are welcome here. Thanks
I tried it for just a couple of weeks. I don't remember exactly, but I know it didn't agree with me. I think weaning off the Strattera at the same time might not have helped. I stopped taking them both. I am now just on 40mg. of Focolan, twice a day.
I read in some of Intuniv's literature that it is good for 9 weeks - Is it ineffective after that time?
I'm not sure if I'll see my Dr. before the year is out, but if I do, I'll ask her more questions about it.
My nephew takes it so they don't have to increase his ritalin. Supposedly it evens out the highs and lows between ritalin doses. It also give him a little extra something without having to use more stimulant. An older nephew tried it by itself and it made him fall asleep in school.
Anyone have any uplifting words? I am at my end for sure. I am on my second day of intunive and I feel absolutely DRAINED! I am sooooo tired and numb. I have ADD/ADHD, not sure which one yet, as well as motor ticks which are terrible!I have been on every antidepressant you can think of before the docs finally said, ok, your not depressed, which I told them in the beginning. I have tried the celexa, strattera, wellbutrin, Vyvanse was wonderful, I think I felt like a normal person for 3 whole days. I accomplished soooo much! I was able to get out of bed in the morning and I didnt feel numb during the day. Then my motor ticks came back with a vengance which I new would probably happen. So now we are back to square on with the Intuniv. I also take Orep for my motor ticks and the doc said the intuniv will help with that also. Will this tired numbness go away so that I can function normally? I am soooo tired of going through all of this. I have a family to worry about? Im sure some of you have been there before? Thanks so much!
I am just getting started on Intuniv after being on Adderall 30mg twice a day for years, then going to Straterra (which made me constipated, and an overall yucky feeling). My doctor wants me on non stimulants because her policy I guess I broke, my purse got stolen once 5 days before my meds were up for refill and then I am pretty sure I just lost my medicine about a week and a half before they were due, but made the mistake of telling my doctor. So now she does not want to prescribe me stimulants/controlled substances. I think its odd, but went with it hoping Strattera would work, but no such luck. My doctor is willing to let another doctor prescribe me controlled substances but in the mean time before I find one I'm trying all her suggestions. So now its onto Intuniv, I'm just wondering what other people's experiences have been as I'm concerned its just for children and won't do that much for me.
I feel your pain. It's me, my husband, and our 2 year old daughter. I can barely keep up with her with my medicine, now I'm starting Intuniv and I worry I won't keep up at all especially since I'm a stay at home mom. Hope things are going better for you.

Lisa said:
I have to be the most unorganized person alive, especially in my small 2.5 room apt., which I share with my husband and child. It is very difficult for me to straighten up, put clothes away, etc... I tend to get very overwhelmed just thinking about tackling these chores, so I end up ignoring them, causing more "stuff" to build up..I have been on Intuniv(2 mg) for about 4-5 weeks now and I notice no change whatsoever. I read that this drug is for kids. Does it work in adults or not? Any and all responses are welcome here. Thanks
Heather...thanks for your reply. I went off the Intuniv and was perscribed Sraterra. Have been on it for 2 weeks now, and so far feel no change. I must add that I have been on 2 other prescribed meds for depression for over 4 years. I hope this works, because I can't stand the clutter anymore...I just want to be able to get rid of it, but it's the starting that I can't do! May sound odd to some but it's quite debilitating! Please let me know how the Intuniv works for you...and good luck!

Lisa
I have read up on Intuniv a little b/c I am considering asking about putting my son on it along with his concerta. I read that you should take the stimulant in the morning and the intuniv at night. That way the drowsiness effect from the intuniv counteracts any possible insomnia type effects from the stimulant. We have his appointment tomm night. So we shall see what she says. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it as well along with my Adderall
i am on day 6 (1mg) Intuniv, and so far i havent noticed anything. Im still scattered, and walking in circles. I heard it takes about 2 weeks for it to start working. Does anyone here know if i could take adderall with intuniv? I recently added seroquel for sleep, as well as hypomania, but with that, im exhausted all the time, even though im sleeping approximately 10 hours a day, im unable to get moving to get anything done. Id like to add in adderall but not sure if its ok or not. i cant get an appointment anyway til next week, just thought id ask if anyone else here mixes both. btw, im 46yo female.
I was on this medication for about 2 months and previous to this it was clonidine.  the Intuniv caused me to be more zoned out than I normally would be and it got to the point where I could not function at all.  It was an excellent sleeping pill though.  As far as taking a stimulant with intuniv i don't see why not.  I thought the intuniv was helping but now that i am 9 weeks into my Strattera therapy I can really tell the difference that Strattera made for me as my head finally got out of the fog cloud it has been in for years.  Strattera is not a stimulant and is not a controlled substance.  I am 56 years old and have high blood pressure and have had seizures in the past and the intuniv was a try my doctor took because of the safety of the med.

julieswids said:
i am on day 6 (1mg) Intuniv, and so far i havent noticed anything. Im still scattered, and walking in circles. I heard it takes about 2 weeks for it to start working. Does anyone here know if i could take adderall with intuniv? I recently added seroquel for sleep, as well as hypomania, but with that, im exhausted all the time, even though im sleeping approximately 10 hours a day, im unable to get moving to get anything done. Id like to add in adderall but not sure if its ok or not. i cant get an appointment anyway til next week, just thought id ask if anyone else here mixes both. btw, im 46yo female.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Great Resources for Women with ADHD

© 2014   Created by Terry Matlen, ACSW.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service