Women With ADHD ADD

For Women with ADHD ADD Who Want to Connect

I was just wondering if anyone else has alot of hyper-sensitives? I am very sensitive to light, sound, smells,(esp) I am also very emotional! I can overreact with either rage or tears at the drop of a dime. I have been like this as long as I can remember.I know thaat the feel of certain things touching me drives me crazy! I can't stand certain fabrics or turtlenecks. Just courios if anyone had this due to the adhd

Views: 906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey wow! I have quirky sensitivities... never occurred to me they may possibly relate to ADD, interesting link!

My number one irritant: Competing Sounds

I have a "competing sound" intolerance. A magnified example is two people talking on their cell phones next to each other. I simply cannot tolerate any competing sounds.

If I am talking to someone on the phone and can hear a dog, kid, radio etc in the background I have to hang up.

If I am watching tv with another person and they start talking, I have to mute the TV.

If I am watching a show that uses useless background filler music noise while people are talking, I have to change the channel.

Even the sound of a football game makes me nuts - the commentator speaking with the noise of the game in the background.

My irritation level goes from 0 to 60 in 1.3 seconds flat when I hear competing sounds. Unfortunately I have explosively blurted out SHUT - UP!!!! more than once, then have to explain my little quirk =(

I am also sensitive to certain lighting scenarios. Im ashamed about this reference LOL but for example on the Jersey Shore - I cant watch the show because each scene intro has this weird camera shake, mild strobe light effect to it.

I have always had a fabric intolerance. I recall screaming bloody murder for hours one halloween until my mother got my uber itchy costume off of me. I would often strip naked when I was very young, no matter where we were. Everytime we review the baby books the comment is "ah... my little streaker" lol

Now I cut the tags out of my clothes, even one little bit left sticking out makes me crazy. I have not even attempted to wear nylons in almost 20 yrs. Ive left many a perfectly good clothing items at the goodwill because I hated the way it felt. I strongly prefer cotton jersey, and any suits I own must be fully lined. I have even left work mid day because my clothes were making me crazy!
I am hyper-sensitive, too. Mostly sounds, strong smells, too hot or too cold. There are others, too many to list, I think. I never thought if it was due to ADD, or being in menopause, or my PTSD, but it could all be related.
Kitty,
I have the same sound issues and in fact, that's how I got my ADD diagnosis. I thought there was something wrong with my hearing- I couldn't hear on the phone if there was the slightest noise in the room or if there was background noise on the other person's line. I went for a hearing test and was told my hearing was above normal.

I kept researching, trying to understand my other symptoms too, and finally got an ADD diagnosis.

A LOT of these sensory issues are discussed in the book, "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Se...." You will be amazed to see so much of you described in that book.

Terry

Kitty said:
Hey wow! I have quirky sensitivities... never occurred to me they may possibly relate to ADD, interesting link!

My number one irritant: Competing Sounds

I have a "competing sound" intolerance. A magnified example is two people talking on their cell phones next to each other. I simply cannot tolerate any competing sounds.

If I am talking to someone on the phone and can hear a dog, kid, radio etc in the background I have to hang up.

If I am watching tv with another person and they start talking, I have to mute the TV.

If I am watching a show that uses useless background filler music noise while people are talking, I have to change the channel.

Even the sound of a football game makes me nuts - the commentator speaking with the noise of the game in the background.

My irritation level goes from 0 to 60 in 1.3 seconds flat when I hear competing sounds. Unfortunately I have explosively blurted out SHUT - UP!!!! more than once, then have to explain my little quirk =(

I am also sensitive to certain lighting scenarios. Im ashamed about this reference LOL but for example on the Jersey Shore - I cant watch the show because each scene intro has this weird camera shake, mild strobe light effect to it.

I have always had a fabric intolerance. I recall screaming bloody murder for hours one halloween until my mother got my uber itchy costume off of me. I would often strip naked when I was very young, no matter where we were. Everytime we review the baby books the comment is "ah... my little streaker" lol

Now I cut the tags out of my clothes, even one little bit left sticking out makes me crazy. I have not even attempted to wear nylons in almost 20 yrs. Ive left many a perfectly good clothing items at the goodwill because I hated the way it felt. I strongly prefer cotton jersey, and any suits I own must be fully lined. I have even left work mid day because my clothes were making me crazy!
I have found that I am much less distractible under incandescent light than fluorescent light, even the modern fluorescent light bulbs. I find I can read a lot more easily in incandescent lights than the fluorescent ones. This is huge since I am a science major and have to read a lot of math and physics textbooks, which can be difficult to read under any light. I do find my ADD meds make me a whole lot less sensitive to touchy, feely sensations. There have been a few night where I literally had to take a Ritalin in order to sleep because otherwise the sheets, my clothes, my pillows would all drive my body crazy. I became less sensitive to smells after I went up on my antidepressant, or at least I can usually tolerate them better.

As far as elastics, that is in fact an allergy for me. Elastic is a rubber and if you are allergic to latex/rubber, then it will make you itch too. I am also violently allergic to wool. Also, I absolutely cannot stand the smell of bananas, but that too is an allergen too. I am allergic to horses and horse poop. I used to hate horses, inspite of my mom's absolute love for them. I no longer hate them, because I now realize I am violently allergic to them. Sometimes the things we are sensitive to, might actually be indicative of a mild allergy. It is especially indicative of this if the problem gets progressively worse or intense. Some of my sensitivities have evolved into full blown allergies. I now get hives from wool and rubber based products, I now wheeze whenever I am around horses, I get really sick if I eat broccoli, and so forth.

Histamine, the chemical that goes up when you are having allergies is a neurotransmitter and is in the stomach too. So maybe the only thing you get starting off is an itchy brain and slightly queasy stomach. I have found I am more easily annoyed by stuff when my allergies are fully active. Maybe you are allergic to the paper of the tags in your shirts, I've noticed that the ones that bug me the most cause me to itch and develop a rash.

Another thing to consider is that since many ADD/ADHD people live very stressful lives, we might be closer to adrenal fatigue than some other people. Cortisol is a steroidal hormone that suppresses allergies, which is produced by the adrenal cortex of the adrenal glands. Now when you are stressed you produce more adrenaline and cortisol. This overproduction of cortisol can leave our bodies depleted of our natural cortisol.

Last thing, I have noticed that I get more sensitive to stuff when I'm dehydrated or my blood sugar gets too low or I haven't had enough protein. My sensitivities decrease when I replenish these nutrients.
Terry thank you so much for the book suggestion! I am going to order more books on the topic, to also help loved ones get a better idea of what it is like inside my skin. Hopefully they will begin to realize nagging and whining at me won't do squat to motivate me, it will just make me stop answering the phone =).

I recently ordered the "survival tips" book, which I am now hoping to learn through osmosis, since it hasn't yet presented any competition to my impulsiveness =).

Terry Matlen, ACSW said:
Kitty,
I have the same sound issues and in fact, that's how I got my ADD diagnosis. I thought there was something wrong with my hearing- I couldn't hear on the phone if there was the slightest noise in the room or if there was background noise on the other person's line. I went for a hearing test and was told my hearing was above normal.

I kept researching, trying to understand my other symptoms too, and finally got an ADD diagnosis.

A LOT of these sensory issues are discussed in the book, "Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Se...." You will be amazed to see so much of you described in that book.

Terry

Kitty,
You're welcome! There's not enough written about sensory issues in adults, if you ask me; that's why I like that book so much.

And thanks for ordering my book. You can jump around in that one; no need to read cover to cover. : )

Terry

Kitty said:
Terry thank you so much for the book suggestion! I am going to order more books on the topic, to also help loved ones get a better idea of what it is like inside my skin. Hopefully they will begin to realize nagging and whining at me won't do squat to motivate me, it will just make me stop answering the phone =).

I recently ordered the "survival tips" book, which I am now hoping to learn through osmosis, since it hasn't yet presented any competition to my impulsiveness =).

Terry Matlen, ACSW said:
Kitty,

Terry

I don't like people touching me unless I know them, but maybe that is most people. Certain materials like coloring books make my skin crawl.
Hi Terry, Yes I noticed and appreciated the format! You can tell it is by someone who understands ADD just by the way every page is not packed top to bottom with single spaced lines of 6pt font hahhahhaa Allow me to commend you on your ability to call it "finished" and get it out there!

I have a few childrens books that by all means are finished, are (I think) really great and contain subject not yet covered. I've even researched and selected a few agents for submission. But alas I get stuck, I really want to illustrate them too. After teaching myself to recreate my vision with software, over obsessing on every detail, finishing about half of them, I discovered that literary agents want the text only, no drawings, especially from not-yet-published authors. That quandry led to such severe indecision I have not done anything with them for a good 10 months =(.

So I'm hoping confessing all that will help me re-engage with it. Thats a new thing I learned, it seems confessing my shameful things releases the burden somehow - then by magic I actually start working on it, instead of just lugging it around as baggage!!

Hoping to make it to a chat sometime, thanks so much for this website!

Terry Matlen, ACSW said:
Kitty,
You're welcome! There's not enough written about sensory issues in adults, if you ask me; that's why I like that book so much.

And thanks for ordering my book. You can jump around in that one; no need to read cover to cover. : )

Terry

Kitty,

Thanks for opening up here. It's hard to share ones' vulnerability.

It seems, in your case, there are some basic decisions to be made first:

1. Continue searching for agents/publishers or
2. Consider self-publishing.

With the latter, as you well know, you retain the ability to choose what your book will look like, illustrations and all.

If #2 is not the road for you, can you research to see if *any* publishers accept illustrations along with the text?

Please don't let this rock in the road stop you from pursuing your dreams. Use a sledge hammer to make the darn rock smaller.

Terry

Kitty said:
Hi Terry, Yes I noticed and appreciated the format! You can tell it is by someone who understands ADD just by the way every page is not packed top to bottom with single spaced lines of 6pt font hahhahhaa Allow me to commend you on your ability to call it "finished" and get it out there!

I have a few childrens books that by all means are finished, are (I think) really great and contain subject not yet covered. I've even researched and selected a few agents for submission. But alas I get stuck, I really want to illustrate them too. After teaching myself to recreate my vision with software, over obsessing on every detail, finishing about half of them, I discovered that literary agents want the text only, no drawings, especially from not-yet-published authors. That quandry led to such severe indecision I have not done anything with them for a good 10 months =(.

So I'm hoping confessing all that will help me re-engage with it. Thats a new thing I learned, it seems confessing my shameful things releases the burden somehow - then by magic I actually start working on it, instead of just lugging it around as baggage!!

Hoping to make it to a chat sometime, thanks so much for this website!

Terry Matlen, ACSW said:
Kitty,

Terry

Does my comment make sense to anyone other than myself? I was trying to share strategies I have developed/discovered that have helped me reduce my sensivity to my enviroment.

I do still have somethings that drive me nuts like the sensation of friction between my writing instrument and my paper. I buy gel pens or other pens that write smoothly, my pencils have to write smoothly. I like using pencil lead that writes smoothly and dark because they write more smoothly. If I have to use an old fashioned blackboard, I have found that colored chalk writes with less friction than white chalk. I buy special binder paper that is narrow-ruled and has a smooth texture. also I buy liquid highlighters because they remain brighter than ordinary highlighters.

I use fans to help buffer auditory distractions, including silencing the silence. I even have the use of a table fan as one of my test accommodations at school.

There is one sensation I absolutely can't stand to this day is the feeling of gritty friction. It sends chills through my entire body. Cotton balls and fancy pens can create this sensation.

Sarah Christine Gogstetter said:
I have found that I am much less distractible under incandescent light than fluorescent light, even the modern fluorescent light bulbs. I find I can read a lot more easily in incandescent lights than the fluorescent ones. This is huge since I am a science major and have to read a lot of math and physics textbooks, which can be difficult to read under any light. I do find my ADD meds make me a whole lot less sensitive to touchy, feely sensations. There have been a few night where I literally had to take a Ritalin in order to sleep because otherwise the sheets, my clothes, my pillows would all drive my body crazy. I became less sensitive to smells after I went up on my antidepressant, or at least I can usually tolerate them better.

As far as elastics, that is in fact an allergy for me. Elastic is a rubber and if you are allergic to latex/rubber, then it will make you itch too. I am also violently allergic to wool. Also, I absolutely cannot stand the smell of bananas, but that too is an allergen too. I am allergic to horses and horse poop. I used to hate horses, inspite of my mom's absolute love for them. I no longer hate them, because I now realize I am violently allergic to them. Sometimes the things we are sensitive to, might actually be indicative of a mild allergy. It is especially indicative of this if the problem gets progressively worse or intense. Some of my sensitivities have evolved into full blown allergies. I now get hives from wool and rubber based products, I now wheeze whenever I am around horses, I get really sick if I eat broccoli, and so forth.

Histamine, the chemical that goes up when you are having allergies is a neurotransmitter and is in the stomach too. So maybe the only thing you get starting off is an itchy brain and slightly queasy stomach. I have found I am more easily annoyed by stuff when my allergies are fully active. Maybe you are allergic to the paper of the tags in your shirts, I've noticed that the ones that bug me the most cause me to itch and develop a rash.

Another thing to consider is that since many ADD/ADHD people live very stressful lives, we might be closer to adrenal fatigue than some other people. Cortisol is a steroidal hormone that suppresses allergies, which is produced by the adrenal cortex of the adrenal glands. Now when you are stressed you produce more adrenaline and cortisol. This overproduction of cortisol can leave our bodies depleted of our natural cortisol.

Last thing, I have noticed that I get more sensitive to stuff when I'm dehydrated or my blood sugar gets too low or I haven't had enough protein. My sensitivities decrease when I replenish these nutrients.
It all makes sense to me.
I'm especially sensitive to fluorescent lighting- the flickering makes me feel like I'm going to have a seizue (I've never had one, but..). The textures, inks, etc- all makes sense to me, too. I have to use a special kind of pen; one that doesn't require a lot of pressure. For a zillion years, I used a Bic with the ridges on the plastic but then discovered a much better pen. Forgot the name, sorry!

Terry

Does my comment make sense to anyone other than myself? I was trying to share strategies I have developed/discovered that have helped me reduce my sensivity to my enviroment.

I do still have somethings that drive me nuts like the sensation of friction between my writing instrument and my paper. I buy gel pens or other pens that write smoothly, my pencils have to write smoothly. I like using pencil lead that writes smoothly and dark because they write more smoothly. If I have to use an old fashioned blackboard, I have found that colored chalk writes with less friction than white chalk. I buy special binder paper that is narrow-ruled and has a smooth texture. also I buy liquid highlighters because they remain brighter than ordinary highlighters.

I use fans to help buffer auditory distractions, including silencing the silence. I even have the use of a table fan as one of my test accommodations at school.

There is one sensation I absolutely can't stand to this day is the feeling of gritty friction. It sends chills through my entire body. Cotton balls and fancy pens can create this sensation.

OMG I'm not alone!!!

I have quite a few sensitivities and they are all weird and inconsistent. Are anyone else’s inconsistent? For instance I have an over sensitivity so smells but it’s only some smells. take perfume for instance some I love and could smell for hours and I can (sometimes so long as I’ve remembered to take my meds) love going into those make your own sent shops like bath junkie, however if I’m in a store or out some were and an old lady in that nasty old lady perfume walks by (I swear she could be miles away it seems like) I gag and have to get away from it and if I’m like stuck in an elevator good lord I start getting a migraine from it in moments. (this is quite bad as for the moment I work as an elevator operator for a sports complex *shudders and the remembered smell of lots and lots of beer*) or tomatoes I hate and can't stand the smell of tomatoes, my parents grow them in the garden out back and I have to go out and pick them (I hate this immensely)

To pick them I have to put of rubber gloves as otherwise the smell will get on me and even if I wash my hands afterwards it’s still there making me sick.

Another thing is sound, I hear everything, I can't not. And it can be infuriating. With my meds it doesn’t bother me as much. When I drive I have to put the radio up as loud as I can stand it to drown out the sounds of everything else like the wind the car engine everything I’m sure you know what I mean. The only problem with this is well I sometimes don’t hear it when my car starts making bad noises loll.
The sound of one sole on a shoe squeaking arrrrgh *shudder* but I find the sound of my ferret running around in his wheel soothing its odd. the sound of people masticating is nauseating to me and I often snap and tell the person so eat quietly as its making me ill ...strangers at restraints do not appreciate this lol

But I think the sound that makes me most ashamed is from my nephew. My nephew is autistic. To calm himself he hums and grunts and makes all sorts of various noises that completely rub me the wrong way. I know he don't mean to infuriate me and he can't understand why aunt v is so angry with him all the time. I don't mean to lose it with him but it happens thankfully I’ve never hit him of anything horrible like that but I do yell a lot which can sometimes be worse as I remember from my child hood if anyone has any suggestions on dealing with him and my issues I would welcome them greatly and sometimes leaving the room or house isn't an option like when I have to babysit him.

Touch another inconsistency is that I can stand tags in my clothes I feel better if they are not there but I can stand them but I can't stand it when they put the tag in the side seam oh it drives me nuts and I’ll itch and scratch at it for hours or until I rip it out or strip the shirt off in disgust. Quilts the brumby texture of quilts I can't do I love looking at them they can be so pretty but if I try and snuggle one it’s just too much. and the textures of some food yuck like tapioca *shudder* or peas (peas are as far as I’m concerned where created by Satan) or rice pudding but I like pop rock candy its odd really oh and wool makes me itch like crazy and that I had never even considered that it could be related to my AD/HD lol I always assumed I was mildly allergic or something. It’s nice to know I’m not crazy lol

But the sense I think I have the most trouble with is sight. I loathe going to the mall especially around the holidays its physically draining. there is just too much going on around me that I can't filter it at all even on my meds and I crash like a computer with way to many programs running on it (this is a good analogy as it is something I have done to my comp multiple times lol) I avoid going to the mall at all costs and if I have to go I go straight the stores I need with me head down and start attentively at the floor and go in and get out as fast as I can. Though that doesn't always work as I get distracted by "shinny" things. However I love going to conventions> I'm really into anime and go to anime conventions a lot what’s weird is these conventions can if not always have more going on in them then the malls but unlike the mall I don't get as overwhelmed. Its strange lol

.....but yeah....and I totally went on a huge eclectic tangent lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Great Resources for Women with ADHD

© 2014   Created by Terry Matlen, ACSW.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service